How to rent a dedicated server?
Capacity, security, cost, skills, environmental impact, whatever the nature and the size of your activity, the question of the choice of the computer server and therefore of a dedicated server arises today for all professionals and even some individuals. Responding to them, however, turns out to be quite complex as the criteria to be taken into account are numerous and sometimes subjective. Why choose the dedicated server solution? What are the different kinds of dedicated servers, how to rent one and which host to choose? Should we opt for outsourcing? Here are the first answers to see more clearly.
What is a dedicated server?
Dedicated server is a type of computer server and can be compared to a simple computer. It works with an operating system, usually Windows or Linux, where the various programs and software are installed. It thus includes the hardware and the operating system making it possible to run computer services such as a website, data storage, management of shared peripherals, printers and scanners for example, software and working environments, games. , access authentication and control, etc. It is therefore absolutely essential to the activity of the company. This computer server can be physically present in the company and managed entirely by its internal skills or be outsourced to a host which will provide an independent server: the dedicated server. In this case, the physical machine and all of its applications are dedicated to the client, hence the name of the dedicated server.
- Why a dedicated server?
- Depending on its power and its applications, a computer server requires very specific skills and installations: clean room, air conditioning, emergency power supply, continuous internet connection, maintenance and management of software and databases, etc. It is therefore not always possible or desirable for the company to have a computer server on its site. The use of a dedicated server hosted by a professional in a data center (or data center) is therefore the most common and efficient solution. The host provides the company with a dedicated server, that is to say a computer server which is entirely dedicated to it. Physically, the dedicated server is placed on the premises of the host while the administration of the dedicated server, applications, software, etc. can either be kept entirely by the company, via a programming interface (API), or managed by the host. We then speak of a managed dedicated server.
One of the immediate advantages of dedicated servers is to resolve some of the company's constraints in terms of equipment and security. Indeed, these materials require specific ventilation, power and general safety which generate costs and organizational difficulties for the company. Not to mention the maintenance and renewal of machines. In the case of dedicated servers that are not managed, the administration of the dedicated server also requires in-house IT skills, and therefore an IT department entirely dedicated to these issues.
- The different types of dedicated servers
- Dedicated servers differ from shared servers offered by hosting providers. We speak of a shared server when the same computer server is shared by several companies or activities. While this helps to reduce costs, security, capacity and battery life are also limited.
In the case of a dedicated server, the host therefore provides the company with one - or more - computer servers which are entirely reserved for it. In some cases, hosting providers may offer dedicated virtual or VPS servers. It is an autonomous and secure space created and made available to the customer within a computer server. The costs are thus reduced but the performance can be reduced and some applications remain shared with other customers.
A company may also, for reasons of security and / or organization of its IT services, choose a virtual dedicated server system within its dedicated server. In this case, however, the entire dedicated server remains available and under the control of the company.
Finally, we can mention the principle of renting dedicated servers offered by some hosts. Here, the host provides its client with a physical space in which to install its dedicated server. The company therefore takes care not only of the administration of its dedicated server but also of the choice, the installation and the maintenance of the machines. For its part, the host only guarantees the availability of the premises as well as their security, the permanence of the electricity supply and the preservation of a favorable and safe environment for the storage and operation of dedicated servers.
- What is the use of a dedicated server?
- The dedicated server, like any computer server, makes it possible to carry out the company's IT tasks, whatever the nature of its activity. Video, gaming, e-commerce, data storage, the needs are very varied but the dedicated server meets them. Here are some of the main uses of a dedicated server.
- The dedicated server for your website and e-commerce
- Owning a domain name and running a low traffic website can be done from a personal computer. However, as soon as the visits to your site increase, the use of a dedicated server becomes essential. Indeed, the capacity of the dedicated server will guarantee you the possibility of managing high traffic without saturation. The dedicated server also ensures that the service is not interrupted, even for maintenance. In addition, thanks to dedicated server or dedicated server solutions in outsourcing, you can choose either to continue to directly administer your operating system or to hand over to the host. The latter will thus be able to optimize the infrastructure of your dedicated server and relieve you of all technical aspects.
- Database and dedicated server
- The issue of data storage has become crucial for both professionals and individuals. Volume, security, download speed are the three problems that arise. Calling on a host and a dedicated server largely solves them. Indeed, the large storage capacity of the dedicated server is an asset for quickly loading and tapping into the database, even when you multiply the accesses. In addition, the dedicated server being reserved for your sole use, you do not risk suffering from the risk-taking of other hosted activities. Finally, the data centers that house your dedicated server benefit from a controlled and protected environment that puts your dedicated server and therefore your database safe from common dangers such as a power failure, a heat wave, damage. water, fire, etc.
- A dedicated server for video applications and gaming
- Video and gaming are two types of use that require a lot of bandwidth and storage capacity. For an individual, passionate about editing for example, as for a company specializing in the production of content or for a gaming company, it becomes difficult to have such a capacity on your own. The hosts then offer dedicated servers specially equipped with graphics cards. A gaming company may also have a dedicated server hosting virtual dedicated servers assigned to each player. In the end, dedicated servers can be perfectly adapted to these specific requirements.
- Other uses of the dedicated server?
- The advantage of the dedicated server is that it can be configured according to the customer's needs. RAM, storage, access security, each activity generates specific expectations in terms of dedicated server and each dedicated server can be adapted. Specific work environments can of course also be installed on your dedicated server. In these particular cases, however, the focus should be both on the choice of host and hardware and on the skills of the system administrators.
How to get a dedicated server?
Today, there are an estimated 400,000 million dedicated servers worldwide and many companies of all sizes offer their dedicated server services. A simple search on a search engine with "dedicated server" in keyword is enough to realize the importance of the offer. These hosts generally offer a monthly rental for a minimum dedicated server service. Of course, there are also dedicated server services for larger companies.
Dedicated server hosts therefore do not all offer the same services and may not be suitable for your need for a dedicated server. This is why it is essential to clearly define several points in advance.
- The first is the reality of your expectations for a dedicated server. Do you manage an e-commerce site? Do you produce video content? Do you have to access your database regularly and simultaneously?
- The second point concerns your IT skills within the company. Would you like to administer your dedicated server yourself? Is your IT department able to create the right infrastructure, manage its evolution and ensure the maintenance of your dedicated server? This point thus raises the question of the outsourcing of your dedicated server.
- The prospects for the development of your activity and the consequences that this could have on your dedicated server constitute the third essential point. Indeed, rapid growth, diversification of activities, the integration of new employees, drastically change your needs in terms of dedicated servers and can profoundly modify your economic model and your choices of dedicated server, including in the short term.
How to rent a dedicated server?
To rent a dedicated server, you have to go through the services of a host or a hosting service. These dedicated server companies, present all over the world, all offer dedicated servers, but their services can be very different. Before renting a dedicated server, here are some essential questions whose answers will inevitably influence the choice of the host for your dedicated server.
Outsourcing for your dedicated server?
Only the nature of your business and the way you envision the operation of your company can help you choose the best solution for your dedicated server. You may prefer to keep full control of your dedicated server and administer it without an intermediary. This means that you will need to have internal human resources on issues of administration of the dedicated server but also its maintenance, security and upgrades. You can choose to outsource these same tasks to your dedicated server host. Outsourcing, if it has a certain cost, can allow you to save money by reducing the staff of your IT department, for example.
A dedicated server host close to you?
Before responding to a tempting offer on the web, it is better to find out about the location and the commitments of the host. If theoretically, the dedicated server can be located on the other side of the world, it is better to opt for a dedicated server host located in France. Indeed, the geographical proximity of the data centers is a guarantee of security. In addition, you will be able to better control the reality of safety conditions and compliance with environmental legislation and standards.
Choose the best lease for your dedicated server
Once again, many criteria come into play when negotiating the rental of your dedicated server. If your activity is limited and does not require special needs, you can safely opt for one of the basic monthly plans offered by most dedicated server hosts. However, even then, every item is worth weighing: what about maintenance? the renewal of materials? can you easily - and inexpensively - change your contract if your business grows? what memory and bandwidth is really available for your dedicated server? What does the outsourcing contract for your dedicated server really include? In any case, market research is essential to find the dedicated server host that will perfectly meet your needs.
The dedicated server has become the essential solution for the administration of IT services for professionals - even individuals. From a simple website to a multinational, the dedicated server allows the company to live. This is why it is essential to forge partnerships with specialists!