Zimbra: the leader in open source messaging
Zimbra is an open source software suite designed by the Synacor company founded in 1998. It was originally based on collaborative messaging. The functionalities and flexibility of Zimbra's collaborative messaging quickly won over users who have largely contributed to its evolution to make Zimbra the leader in its field.
The flexibility of use of Zimbra and its collaborative messaging has enabled it to be adopted by more than 500 million users in 130 countries. Over the years, Zimbra Collaboration has become a complete solution (messaging, calendars, contacts, etc. file sharing, chat, task management…). Users can access various features through the Zimbra web client. Another advantage of this open source suite is that it supports all equipment configurations. It is possible to implement it on site or with a service provider who has chosen to specialize in hosting these open source solutions.
How does Zimbra work?
Zimbra collaborative messaging facilitates communication and the distribution of tasks internally in a company, while respecting the conditions of confidentiality of the data exchanged. Its main features include:
- Collaborative messaging
- Collaborative messaging allows users to connect to their dedicated space in a cloud that combines the management of emails, contacts, calendar, tasks, applications of the company's business files. Among the features offered by this collaborative messaging, we find:
- Several deployment possibilities: private or public cloud
- Accessibility on all mobile devices with CarDAV and CalDAV protocols, IMAP / POP, with the added bonus of synchronization with Microsoft Outlook
- Simplified navigation and optimized search
- Zimbra's user interface is designed to make searches easier with filters to better target a search. For that:
- Messages (sending and receiving) are encrypted via OpenPGP Zimlet
- Document management and instant sharing
- Calendar management on Zimbra is designed in such a way that it allows speakers to offer ideal meeting times (compatibility with Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010)
- The integration of the most used external applications such as Twitter or Facebook as well as applications such as SAP and Oracle is planned on Zimbra.
- Simplified management
- For more user-friendliness and to facilitate access and exchange between users of collaborative messaging, the designers of Zimbra have also integrated:
- AJAX Web Administration Console to simplify administration
- Antivirus, antispam, and directory service (LDAP, Active Directory)
- Class-of-Service (CoS) to allow user management and storage
- Easy and simple migration of Microsoft Exchange and Domino Migration
What are the advantages of collaborative messaging?
It is no coincidence that this Zimbra collaborative messaging system is also appreciated by different users regardless of the profile and size of the company or institution. All justify their choice by :
- Excellent data security: these are hosted in data centers offering maximum guarantees to keep them. Regular backups are also scheduled to protect all transferred data.
- Controlled and reduced management costs: Zimbra collaborative messaging software being offered in SaaS, the cost of its use is less expensive for members who can opt for a monthly subscription covering all the options chosen.
- Good responsiveness and updating: having a SaaS messaging system makes it possible to react in a short time. All you have to do is contact the service provider so that they can set up and provide access to the new features of Zimbra.
- Accessibility via all digital tools: mobile, tablet, pc, all communication tools have access to open source collaborative messaging via a web interface. Getting started and integrating Zimbra collaborative messaging is very easy and no problem.
These different advantages of Zimbra messaging simplify both the management and the regular updating of the software. They guarantee data storage and backups according to the highest standards and adapt to all mobile media. Using Zimbra to communicate brings real convenience to businesses, without worrying about maintenance issues.
How to migrate to Zimbra easily ?
You want to migrate to Zimbra collaborative messaging. To achieve this you can use imapsync esp and migrate to Zimbra. The imapsync tool allows synchronization of two IMAP accounts.
You do not have to know the passwords for the accounts on the Zimbra server. Recognition or authentication can be done from the administrator account. However, you must have the passwords for the accounts on the origin server.
One of the big advantages of this tool for migrating to Zimbra collaborative messaging is the ability to imapsync multiple times on the same account to reduce the time the user no longer has access to the collaborative messaging service.
The procedure for migrating to Zimbra from a DOVECOT or CYRUS server is exactly the same as that explained previously. You will use the imapsync tool and only need to have the passwords for the accounts used to access the initial servers.
Now if you want to update your Zimbra mailbox, you just need to download the latest version and follow the recommended installation process. Before any migration or update to Zimbra, it is advisable to make backups by making a "snapshot" to keep a record of the changes made at the time of your migration to Zimbra collaborative messaging.