Dedicated server: how to make the best choice?Creating a website, whether an e-commerce site, a showcase site, or a service platform, involves the selection of a suitable server, and hosting that meets your needs in terms of security, power, and storage. Several options are available to you: shared hosting, a virtual server, or a dedicated server. It is the latter that we will turn to now. Why choose it? We’re going to find out why now.
What is a dedicated server?
A dedicated server is an IT service provided by the host to a single client. It can be managed remotely via the Internet or directly at the host’s premises using a KVM over IP. It is a machine equipped with all the resources, both in terms of hardware and software, which are integral to a website functioning properly.
Furthermore, the customer is able to make use of a personalised service, thanks to exclusive functions put in place by the host. We strongly recommend this solution to all businesses due to the numerous advantages offered. We’re really taking an interest in it.
What are the advantages of a dedicated server?
- The power: in general, a dedicated server is considerably more powerful than a shared server.
- More secure hosting: in contrast to shared hosting nobody other than you will have access to your server. As a result, if you have sensitive and confidential data (customer data, for example), this type of hosting is definitely the one we would recommend. Furthermore, depending on the bundle you choose, you can fully control your server as an administrator.
- The option to use applications: a dedicated server is able to support the use of a massive database or heavy applications.
- A solution that is more attractive financially: companies have rather specific needs. In addition, it is much more beneficial to make use of a dedicated server which can provide you with domain names, email accounts, FTP, and other services with one single subscription.
A dedicated server therefore represents the best solution for professionals and businesses. Nevertheless, certain criteria must be taken into consideration before getting in touch with a host.
The technological criteria to take into account
- The choice of processor: it affects the power of your dedicated server. If the website you want to set up requires the provision of numerous resources (this is the case for platforms using SQL servers, instant messaging services, etc.), a dedicated server with two or more processors must be selected. Don’t hesitate to explain your needs to your supplier who will be able to provide your with a sufficiently high-performing hosting service.
- Memory: this is the data storage capacity, which has an impact on the speed of processing and loading applications. The more suitable a memory you select, the faster your site will load, significantly boosting your reputation and the user experience.
- One or more hard drives? Opting for one main hard drive linked to a storage drive is a good solution if you need to backup sensitive data.
- Choose the bandwidth capacities: the bandwidth represents your server’s ability, over a given period, to transfer data from or towards your site. The higher the bandwidth, the more equipped the server will be to process heavy traffic to your site without malfunctioning. Furthermore, if you intend to offer video streaming on your platform, for example, or other heavy multimedia content, it is better to opt for a high-performance bandwidth.
- Which operating system? This criterion mainly depends on the programming language used to develop your website. Several solutions are available to you: Windows Server, for l’ASP.NET or MS SQL, Unix/Linux for programming languages in MySQL or Apache… Here again your host can offer you the most appropriate solution.
- How to run your server? It is perfectly possible to assign the management and administration of your dedicated server to the host. In this case, make sure that managed services are offered along with this. On the other hand, if you have the capacities required to manage your server, you will not need any such service. Nevertheless, the hosts should offer you advice, as well as an efficient maintenance service in the case of any problems.
The cost: an important criterion
Benefitting from a high-performing server is of the utmost importance for managing traffic, but also for limiting loading times. Nevertheless, this type of hosting service can entail a significant price. It is therefore indispensable to find a good compromise:
- The subscription fee: some hosts do not include traffic in the server’s costs or, if they do, only to a limited extent. You should make yourself aware of the traffic included in your subscription as well as of the cost of exceeding this.
- Installation costs: these apply in the majority of cases. Your host is obliged to inform you of the installation and setup costs for your dedicated server.
- Licences: if you opt for an open source solution (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS), you will not be affected by licence fees. On the other hand, if your server includes an operating system (Windows Server) or other software (PLESK), additional costs will apply.
- The optimisation of your server: investing in hard drives or additional storage also entails further costs, greater or smaller in size. It is also crucial to focus in on your needs before signing up to an offer.
- Choosing a bundle: there is usually a bundle involving technical support among the packs offered by hosts. Make sure to go for an advantageous offer.
You’ve got it: investing in a dedicated server requires, on the one hand, comparing different host’s offers. There are many of these, but not all of them will offer you the same advantages. On the other hand, focusing in on your needs in terms of performance and capabilityis of the utmost importance, as is planning for the long term and imagining your platform’s growth.